Sports, Women's Basketball

Wynn hauls in first batch of recruits

Long Beach State women’s basketball head coach Jody Wynn announced the signing of her first recruiting class on Thursday.

Janae Coffee, Chantel Dooley and Brandi Henton each penned National Letters of Intent to play for the 49ers in 2010.

“We are extremely happy with our early signees,” Wynn said in a press release. “I think they provide us with a great balance of athleticism, strength, quickness and shooting ability.

“All three young ladies are terrific kids and great students. They want to be a part of bringing Long Beach State women’s basketball back to being an NCAA Tournament team year in and year out.”

Coffee, a 6-foot-3 center, led Clovis West High School to a Tri-River Athletic League title, along with a runner-up finish in the Central Section Division I championships. She averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds per game in her junior season, while shooting 64 percent from the field.

Dooley averaged a double-double with 12.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in her junior season at Montclair Prep High School. The 5-foot-8 guard led the Mounties to an appearance in the Division VA CIF Southern Section semifinals, racking up first-team All-CIF and first-team All-Olympic League recognition.

Henton, a 5-foot-7 guard, averaged 16 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game last season at Modesto Christian High School, leading the Crusaders to the CIF Division IV state finals.

LBSU opens the 2009-10 campaign tomorrow night against Prairie View A&M at the Walter Pyramid. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.