Men's Cross Country, Men's Volleyball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Nov. 13-14

Cross Country: Season concludes with Regional run in Eugene

The Long Beach State cross country team concluded its 2009 campaign at the NCAA West Regional in Eugene, Ore. on Saturday as both men’s and women’s teams registered 14th place finishes at the Springfield Country Club.

The men’s team finished with 431 points while the women’s squad came in with 403 points.

Sophomore Matt Maldonado led the men’s team with a personal best in the 10,000-meter race, finishing in 55th with a time of 32:09.

Junior Travis Kuhlman came in second for the LBSU men, clocking in at 32:21 to finish 65th, followed by sophomore Raul Arcos in 88th at 32:55.

Junior Steven DeCastro finished fourth for LBSU, placing 96th and recording a personal best of 33:05.

Senior Dylan Jaedtke closed his final run as a 49er with a mark of 34:08 (139th), followed by fellow classmate Jake Ainsworth at 34:31 (150th).

Stanford captured the men’s team title with 27 points as the Cardinal’s Chris Derrick finished with a mark of 30:38 to nab the individual crown.

On the women’s side, sophomore Alisa Barajas paced the 49ers in the 6,000-meter race with a time of 22:20 to finish 56th.

Junior Jennifer Rodriguez came second for LBSU, crossing the line in 73rd (22:37), followed by freshman Annie Randall in 81st (22:43).

Freshman Hillary Zator crossed the line in 23 minutes (105th), while sophomore Liz Ramos turned in a time of 23:04 (109th).

Senior Missy Barclay closed out her Beach career with a time of 23:36 to finish 132nd.

Washington claimed the team title with 25 points, with the Huskies’ Kendra Schaaf crossing the finish line with a time of 20:41 to grab the individual championship.

Women’s Volleyball: 49ers upset by Matadors in Northridge

The 49er women’s volleyball team fell to Cal State Northridge 25-23, 18-25, 17-25, 25-22, 18-16 Friday night on the road.

Outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux tallied a double-double with team-high honors in kills (21) and digs (19).

Naomi Washington, who returned after missing one match with the flu, added 18 kills, while setter Ashley Lee led all players with 58 assists.

The Beach (17-7, 10-4 Big West Conference) currently sits a tie for first place with UC Irvine heading into the final weekend of conference action.

The 49ers will host UC Riverside Friday night before playing UCI on Saturday, with the Big West title potentially at stake. Start time for both matches is set for 7 p.m.

Baseball: Longoria bags Silver Slugger

Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Evan Longoria added more postseason hardware to his collection after winning a Silver Slugger last Thursday to go along with his Gold Glove.

The former Dirtbag batted .281 with 33 home runs and 113 RBI. Longoria is the fourth youngest player to win both awards in the same year. Ivan Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr. and Benito Santiago are the only players to accomplish the feat at an earlier age.