Men's Golf, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Feb.14

Softball: St. Germain’s grand slam powers The Beach past Roadrunners

The Long Beach State softball team (2-2) swept its doubleheader on the final day of the Sportco Kick-Off Classic, defeating Kent State, 6-1, and Cal State Bakersfield, 8-5.

Freshman Nalani St. Germain finished the day with two hits, four RBI and four runs scored. Her four RBIs came off one swing of the bat as she connected for a grand slam against the Roadrunners.

The Ayala High School graduate pounded out seven hits, two home runs and six RBIs during the four games that LBSU played in Las Vegas.

Long Beach State 8, Cal State Bakersfield 5

St. Germain connected for a grand slam to lift the ‘Niners to an 8-5 victory over Cal State Bakersfield in the team’s final game of the tournament.

Junior Brooke Turner (1-0) picked up the win in her season debut, allowing one run on three hits in four innings of work. Senior Bridgette Pagano tossed three innings of relief, giving up four unearned runs on five hits.

The 49ers scored five runs in the second inning, highlighted by St. Germain’s grand slam. Junior Christina Schallig led off with a walk, before CSUB retired the next two 49ers. Liz Javier then drew a free pass before Caitrin DeBaun was hit by the pitch to load the bases. Casey Burba singled to bring home the first run and then St. Germain ripped a shot over the fence in right center to clear the bases.

LBSU tacked on one more run in the fourth and two in the sixth to take an 8-1 lead. Javier opened the top of the sixth with a solo home run before Weber drove in Brooke Bell with an RBI double.

The Roadrunners put together a late rally, scoring four runs in the bottom of the seventh before Danielle Lyman grounded out to end the game.

Long Beach State 6, Kent State 1

The 49ers picked up their first win of the 2010 season Sunday morning with a 6-1 triumph against the Golden Flash.

Sophomore Taylor Petty (1-1) allowed one unearned run on four hits and three walks.

Seniors Ashley Weber and Brandy Reyes paced the 49er offense as they both went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs. St. Germain also scored three runs in the win.

The 49ers return to Las Vegas next weekend for the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic, Feb. 19-21.

Men’s Golf: Freshmen lead the way in first round at Battle at the Beach

The 49er men’s golf team sits in sixth place after one round at the Pelican Hill Golf Club in Newport Coast, carding a 3-over par 358 score.

“It’s a really strong field,” LBSU head coach Bill Poutre said. “If you were to take this field and compare it with the strength of schedule of the other tournaments in the country, it currently ranks 10th for the year.”

Freshman Raymond Ho led all ‘Niners with a first round score of 4-under 67 to head into the clubhouse tied for third and one shot off the lead. Classmate Benjamin Lein is in a three-way tie for ninth with a score of 2-under 69.

Philip Chian, playing as an individual, carded a 1-over 72 as he tied for 34th.

The Oregon State duo of Mike Barry and Diego Velasquez are currently tied atop the individual standings at 5-under 66.

Co-host No. 14 UCLA is currently in fifth at 1-under 354. No. 24 Oregon State tops the team leaderboard after one round with a 7-under 348.

The tournament resumes tomorrow before wrapping up on Tuesday.

Poutre said, “We played toe-to-toe with some of the best teams in the country and I think we should play toe-to-toe with a lot of the best teams in the country, and we’re looking forward to tomorrow.”

Tracy McDannald contributed to this report.

Women’s Golf: 49ers finish eighth in first spring tournament

Long Beach State improved by three strokes in Sunday’s final round of the Peg Barnard Invitational to finish its first tournament of the spring season in eighth place.

The 49ers recorded a 315 to finish with a tournament score of 65-over par 633 at the Stanford Golf Course.

Tournament host Stanford claimed the team title with a 596 to edge fellow conference member California (597) by one stroke. The Cardinal carded a final round score of 292, while the Golden Bears finished with a 301.

Noelle Zavaleta led The Beach with a 79 to tie for 25th for a total of 14-over 156, while Brenda Chhuor finished second with a 17-over 159 (79-80) to tie for 37th.

Simone Hoey improved by eight shots for a 76 to finish at 18-over 160 to tie for 39th.
Lindsey McAtee shot an 83 for a two-day total of 161 to tie for 41st and Monica Villareal improved by five shots for an 80 to finish at 165 to tie for 47th.

The 49ers return to action on March 1-3, as they travel to Robinson Ranch Golf Club in Santa Clarita for the Bruin/Wave Invitational hosted by UCLA and Pepperdine.