Baseball, Men's Golf, Men's Volleyball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 1

Baseball: Tinoco earns first weekly nod

Senior first baseman Steve Tinoco was named the Big West Co-Player of the Week as announced by the conference on Monday.

Tinoco went 8-for-10 with five RBI and three walks this past week, leading Long Beach State to a two-game sweep of Arizona on the road. Against UCLA, Tinoco went 2-for-2 and then added three hits in both Friday and Saturday’s contests with Arizona.

He is the first LBSU field player to win the award since Jonathan Jones in 2008. It is the first career weekly award for the senior.

Women’s Golf: 49ers tied for 12th place after first round

Long Beach State sophomore Monica Villarreal recorded an even-72 in Monday’s opening round of the Bruin Wave Invitational to tie for 11th place on the individual leaderboard.

As a team, the 49ers shot a 20-over par 308 to finish in 12th. At the Rancho Valley Course in Santa Clarita.

Playing only in her second tournament for LBSU, Villarreal recorded two birdies on the back nine at the No. 5 and 7 holes and just two bogeys on the front nine at the No. 15 and 18 holes.

Arizona leads the field of 18 teams with a five-under 283 as the No. 8 Wildcats hold a two-stroke lead over No. 6 USC and three-strokes over No. 1 UCLA (286).

Freshman Simone Hoey finished second for The Beach as she tied for 46th with a four-over 76, while sophomore Noelle Zavaleta tied for 62nd with a seven-over 79.

Senior Brenda Chhuor tied for 74th with an 81 (+9) and junior Reina Rogers tied for 81st with an 82 (+10).

Danielle Kang of Pepperdine and Molly Aronsson of Washington sits on top of the leaderboard with a 67 (-5) and holds a one-shot lead over three players tied for second with a 68.

Second round action continues on Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. with final round play concluding on Wednesday. Live action can be followed at golfstat.com.

Men’s Volleyball: Pestolesi grabs national honor

Senior Tommy Pestolesi was named the Sports Imports/AVCA Division I-II Men’s National Player of the Week on Monday.

The 6-foot-6 outside hitter led No. 9 Long Beach State to Mountain Pacific Sports Federation wins over UC Irvine and UCLA this past week. For the week, Pestolesi hit .431, while averaging 4.88 kills and 1.75 digs per set.