Men's Cross Country, Sports

49ers take second at Fullerton Season Opener

women’s results | men’s results

UCLA dominated both races, but the Long Beach State men’s and women’s cross country teams had an impressive showing in the Cal State Fullerton Season Opener on Saturday morning at Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea.

Junior Alisia Barajas came in seventh place to pace the ‘Niners in the women’s 6,000-meter race with a time of 22:41.3. Barajas was followed by junior Liz Ramos, who came in with a time of 22:44.1 to take eighth.

The Beach collected 71 points as a team, while the Bruins earned 24 points.

UCLA finished in the top four spots in the women’s race, with Shannon Murakami taking the top spot with a time of 21:24.5.

The LBSU men also came in second place behind UCLA in the 8,000-meter race. Junior Matt Maldonado placed 14th with a time of 26:15.8 to lead the 49ers. Teammate Bret Hasvold came in just behind Maldonado in 15th place at 26:22.6.

Three other 49ers finished in the top 25 to give LBSU 68 team points.

UCLA finished with 23 points to take home the team title. Unattached runner Diego Mercado finished with a time of 25:11.5 to take home the individual crown.

The Beach will next travel to Balboa Park on Sept. 18 to take part in the Aztec Invitational in San Diego. The women’s 5,000-meter race is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m., while the men will start 30 minutes later.