Men's Golf, Sports

LBSU finishes Day 1 in 9th

The Long Beach State women’s golf team dropped three spots in the second round of the Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic in Fort Collins, Colo., on Monday.

LBSU will head into Tuesday’s final round in ninth place with a 15-over-par 591 score after an 11-over performance in round two.

Tournament host Colorado State leads the 17-team field at 1-under 575. Baylor, which shot 6-under in the opening round earlier in the day and led the tournament, dropped to fourth after shooting 11-over in the second round.

Sophomore Simone Hoey led all 49ers at 3-over 147 to move eights spots up and tie for 21st on the individual leaderboard. Her 73 in the second round also was the team’s lowest score.

Freshman Rochelle Chan, who recorded a team-low 72 in round one, dropped from 16th to a tie for 33rd after shooting 5-over. Her combined score heading into tomorrow’s final round is 5-over 149.

Joining Chan in 33rd place is teammate Monica Villarreal, who dropped from 21st place after carding a 4-over round marred by five bogeys.

Noelle Zavaleta dropped eight spots to 29th, recording a 75 to put her at 4-over 148 for the tournament.

Reina Rogers improved by a stroke in round two, shooting a 75 to put the senior in 46th place at 7-over 151.

The University of Idaho’s Kayla Mortellaro leads all 95 golfers at 7-under 137. She holds a one-shot lead over California’s Daniela Holmqvist.

Tuesday’s final round is scheduled to start at 7:30 a.m.