Men's Golf, Sports

Women golfers take 8th in season opener

In its first bit of action of the 2010 season, the Long Beach State women’s golf team collected an eighth-place finish in the Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic in Fort Collins, Colo., on Tuesday.

The 49ers were paced by Simone Hoey’s 4-over-par 220 in the 17-team tournament. Hoey finished tied for 22nd on the individual leaderboard.

Hoey shot a 1-over 73 in the third round at Ptarmigan Country Club. The sophomore bogeyed hole No. 6 to start the round before recording a birdie on No. 18.

Colorado took the team title with a three-round score of 1-under 865.

The 49ers’ Reina Rogers had the team’s best third-round effort with a 1-under 71 that included four birdies and three bogeys. The senior carded a 22-over 222 for the entire tournament to finish tied for 28th.

“I’m extremely proud of Reina as she stepped up today,” LBSU head coach Joey Cerulle said in a press release. “She was showing the senior leadership that I was looking for in her. We really had a great time bonding together as a team and I’m really excited about this year.”

LBSU shot a 20-over 884 as a team over the two days, and finished the third round with a team score of 5-over 293.

“We had a goal today of shooting 287,” Cerulle said. “We definitely came close shooting [five]-over. Still, it was phenomenal as the first and third rounds were great. The second round we kept it together as we did much better this morning.”

Idaho’s Kayla Mortellaro shot a 9-under 207 overall to take the individual crown.

The Beach will be back in action on Sept. 25 for the Michigan State-hosted Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.