Men's Golf, Sports

Villarreal leads The Beach at Mary Fossum Invitational

Junior Monica Villarreal paced the 25th-ranked Long Beach State women’s golf team through the first two rounds of the Mary Fossum Invitational after shooting an 11-over-par 155 on Saturday.

The ‘Niners finished the first day of the two-day tournament in sixth place with a team score of 48-over 624 at Forest Akers West Golf Course in East Lansing, Mich.

Villarreal recorded a 5-over 77 in the first round before carding a 6-over on her second trip around the course later in the day to finish tied for 25th. Three birdies highlighted Villarreal’s first round, but she wasn’t able to repeat that feat and failed to record a birdie in the second round.

Kent State leads the 11-team tournament after shooting a 15-over 591 on Saturday to put the Golden Flashes two strokes ahead of Notre Dame. The Irish’s Nicole Zhang leads the way with a first-day score of 8-under 136.

Noelle Zavaleta had the 49ers’ best second round effort with a 1-over 73. The junior had three birdies in the round, but an opening round score of 14-over didn’t help her cause. Zavaleta currently sits tied for 39th place going into Sunday’s action.

Teammates Simone Hoey and Rochelle Chan are currently tied for 36th after both recorded 14-over 158 scores in the first two rounds.

Lindsey McAtee is tied for 49th after a first-day score of 18-over 162. Reina Rogers, the other LBSU player in the tournament, is playing as an individual and carded a 20-over 164 to put her in a tie for 53rd.

The 49ers will begin the final round of the tournament at 7 a.m. and will be paired with Iowa State and Toledo.