Men's Golf, Sports

The Beach avoids last-place finish in La Quinta

Raymond Ho and Benjamin Lein both shot 2-under-par 70 in the final round to lead the Long Beach State men’s golf team to a 14th-place finish at The Prestige at PGA West on Tuesday.

The sophomores completed the three-day tournament tied for 32nd place with identical 8-over 224 scores.

Fellow LBSU sophomore Kevin Lim maintained a steady pace throughout the tournament and finished atop the 49ers’ leaderboard by shooting 7-over 223 to finish tied for 26th. Lim never placed lower than 28th in any round over the tournament’s three days.

Stanford’s Andrew Yun carded a 7-under 65 on Tuesday to take home the individual crown with an overall score of 12-under 204. The freshman’s worst score in the tournament was a 2-under 70, which he earned on Sunday.

Yun and the No. 21 Cardinal finished tied with No. 7 Washington for second place at 3-over 867. Meanwhile, No. 22 California took home the team title after shooting even-par 864.

LBSU’s Philip Chian fell eight spots in the final round to finish the tournament at 14-over 230 and in a tie for 59th. Teammate Zach Kanny moved into a tie for 75th after carding a 6-over 78 on Tuesday.