Men's Golf, Sports

LBSU finishes near bottom at Dale McNamara Invitational

After remaining in the top 10 through the first two days at the Dale McNamara Invitational, the Long Beach State women’s golf team had a rough go of it in Wednesday’s final round.

The Beach finished the three-day tournament, which took place at The Patriot Golf Club in Owasso, Okla., in a tie for 12th place after carding a 72-over-par 936 overall. The ‘Niners were in seventh place going into the final round, but a 40-over 328 on Wednesday pushed them down the leaderboard.

No. 20 Oklahoma took home the team title by shooting a 13-over 877, which put them 23 strokes ahead of second-place Oklahoma State. The Sooners’ Ellen Mueller finished each round in first place and captured the individual crown with a 7-under 209.

Sophomore Simone Hoey, who had been in 12th place after Round 2, withdrew from the final day of competition forcing LBSU to count all of its four remaining players’ scores. Only four of each school’s five players had counted toward the team’s overall score in the first two rounds, with the highest score being dropped.

The results were not pretty as The Beach did not have a player record a score lower than 7-over 79 in the final round.

Monica Villarreal led LBSU on the final day to finish tied for 37th place. The junior earned three birdies and four bogeys in the third round to complete the tournament with an overall score of 17-over 233.

Teammate Reina Rogers led the 49ers’ overall leaderboard with a 34th-place finish. The senior carded a 16-over 232 score for the entire tournament, and a 9-over 81 on the final day.

Freshman Rochelle Chan finished the event tied for 55th place with an overall score of 23-over 239. Meanwhile teammate Lindsey McAtee ended up in 72nd place after carding a 33-over 249 over the tournament’s three days.

The 49ers won’t be in action again until Nov. 1 when they take part in the Lamkin Grip Invitational in Arroyo Grande, Calif.