Men's Golf, Sports

49ers wrap up San Diego event in 7th

The Long Beach State men’s golf team didn’t fare any better or worse in the standings Tuesday and finished in seventh place in the San Diego Intercollegiate tournament.

The 49ers shot 61-over par 1,141 through three rounds.

Meanwhile, Texas-Arlington and Southern Methodist University tied for first place at 13-over 1,093, finishing two shots ahead of No. 6-ranked San Diego State in the 12-team field.

Texas-Arlington’s Paul McConnell (2-under 214) captured the individual crown by one shot over SMU’s Kelly Kraft.

McConnell, who began the day in fourth place at even-par, sank five birdies to offset his three bogeys.

Kraft, however, opened up the third round in a tie for the lead, but carded seven bogeys and shot 4-over on the day.

The highest finisher for The Beach was sophomore Benjamin Lein, who carded a 6-over 222 and moved up 15 spots in the final round to tie for 17th place.

Lein’s final round was highlighted by three birdies in the back nine.

Teammate Kevin Roy (7-over 223) dropped nine spots in the final 18 holes and finished in 20th place.

Roy’s day was plagued by four bogeys and a double bogey in the front nine.

Philip Chian (+12), Kevin Lim (+16) and Raymond Ho (+20) rounded out LBSU’s final scores.

The Beach will return to action at the UC Santa Barbara Intercollegiate tournament on March 28 and 29.