Men's Golf, Sports

Women’s golf in second through first round in Irvine

The Long Beach State women’s golf team will head into Tuesday’s final round in second place out of eight teams in the Folino Invitational in Irvine.

The 49ers, which recorded an 18-over-par 306 total through the first round, are just three strokes behind first-place Portland State. 

Meanwhile, UC Irvine is four shots behind the ‘Niners in third-place (310), while Cal Poly remains eight-strokes back in fourth-place (314). Tournament host Cal State Fullerton is currently in fifth with a 30-over 318 score.

Sophomore Simone Hoey led the way for LBSU as she shot a team-low even-par 72 to tie for second-place and remain just two-shots off the pace of current leader Lauren Taylor of Portland State.

Hoey began the day with back-to-back bogeys at the 10th and 11th holes and would record one more bogey at the 14th. But Hoey finished off the back-nine with a birdie at the 18th hole and would score two more birdies on the front-nine at the fourth and eighth holes.

Junior Noelle Zavaleta carded a 5-over 77 to tie for ninth, while fellow teammate Monica Villarreal is tied for 13th, one-stroke back with a 78.

Freshman Rochelle Chan and senior Lindsey McAtee both recorded a 7-over 79, tying for 16th.

Meanwhile, Senior Reina Rogers recorded an 8-over 80 to tie for 19th.

The Beach will return to action Tuesday morning for the final 18 holes.