Men's Water Polo, Sports, Women's Tennis

‘Niner Notes: March 25

It hasn’t been two weeks since Klaudia Malenovska returned to the tennis court from her suspension, and she has already made her presence felt on the Long Beach State women’s tennis team.

After completing her first full week of competition last week, Malenovska was named the Big West Conference Player of Week on Thursday after improving her season record to a perfect 4-0 in singles play.

The Sophomore helped the 49ers take down Louisville before losing a wire-to-wire match against No. 30-ranked Pepperdine, 4-3.

Malenovska routed Louisville’s Mandy Brown, 6-0, 6-3, before taking down Pepperdine’s Ale Granillo, 6-3, 6-4.

Malenovska also paired up with Anais Dallara to win twice at the No. 1 slot in doubles play to help the ‘Niners capture the doubles point in both matches last weekend.

Malenovska’s selection marks the fourth player on LBSU’s eight-player roster to be honored with a player of the week selection.

Dallara claimed the award earlier this season, while Deborah Armstong and Jaklin Alawi have also been chosen as winners over the span of their careers.

Meanwhile, freshman 2-Meter Coriann Snyder of the Long Beach State women’s water polo team was also recipient of the Big West Player of the Week award on Thursday. Snyder helped lead the 49ers to a 3-1 record at the Loyola Marymount Invitational last weekend.

Snyder was at her best when her team needed it the most, propelling the No. 10-ranked 49ers to a victory over No. 18 Princeton before a near-upset of the host Lions, which are ranked No. 6 in the nation.

In the first match of the weekend against the Tigers, Snyder scored a pair of goals as the 49ers upended Princeton, 7-5. The Porterville, Calif. native also scored a pair of goals to lead all scorers in a 5-4 loss to LMU.

In blowout wins over Sonoma State and Cal State San Bernardino, Snyder scored an additional goal while the 49ers sat out most of their starters in the second half of both contests.

Snyder’s accolade marked the first of her career. The 49ers have had three players honored in 2011, including Krizia Cerda, who is a two-time honoree this season.