Men's Golf, Sports

Women’s golf finishes in fourth at Anteater Invitational

Long Beach State shot a final round 308 on Tuesday to finish in fourth-place at the Anteater Invitational at Dove Canyon Country Club in Dove Canyon. 

LBSU recorded a 54-hole total 900 to finish at 48-over-par. The 49ers fell from first-place after 36-holes on Monday afternoon, finishing one-stroke behind third-place UC Irvine (+47) and four-shots behind second-place Nevada (+44). Portland State claimed the team championship at 38-over. 

Senior Reina Rogers, junior Monica Villarreal and sophomore Simone Hoey all tied for eighth with a 10-over par 223.

Rogers recorded five bogeys and one double-bogey for a final round 78, while Villarreal closed out the tournament with two birdies and two bogeys for a 71.

Hoey’s scorecard was inked with six birdies, five bogeys and two double-bogeys for a 74.

Freshman Rochelle Chan carded an 85 tie for 49th at 32-over 245. 

Senior Lindsey McAtee shot an 81 to finish at 27-over 240, tying for 39th.

Lauren Taylor of Portland State won individual medalist at 5-over, holding a two-stroke lead over two players tied for second.

”We played with heavy hearts today,” 49ers head coach Joey Cerulle said in a release. “We battled all day and the girls tried their best to keep up the lead.  But, towards the end we did not execute and the three teams ahead of us took advantage of that.  We’ll learn from our mistakes and prepare for Half Moon Bay next week.”

The 49ers will return to action May 4 to Half Moon Bay for thePacific Coast Intercollegiate hosted by UC Davis.