Sports, Women's Tennis

Beach tennis outlasts DePaul

The Long Beach State women’s tennis team were put to the test against DePaul on Saturday as it saw four matches go to three sets in its third contest in as many days on the road. But the 49ers managed to prevail in all four three-set matches to pick up a 6-1 victory over the Blue Demons.

Anais Dallara won at the No. 1 slot, beating Katarina Milinkovic, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2, while Deborah Armstrong defeated Christana Raymond, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 at the No. 3.

Sarah Cantlay recovered from a first-set loss to win the next two sets over Selma Salkovic, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot, while Anna Jeczmionka lost a tiebreaker to force a third set, where she regained control in a 6-3, 6-7 (3), 6-1 win in No. 6 action.

Klaudia Malenovska rebounded from her first loss this season in The Beach’s only straight set victory as she beat Gia McKnight 6-4, 7-6 (4) at the No. 2.

Rachel Manasse, however, lost at the No. 4 to Kelsey Lawson, 6-3, 6-0.

The ‘Niners sealed the doubles point over a ranked opponent as Dallara and Malenovska beat No. 75 Milinkovic and McKnight, 8-5, to take the point following a win at the No. 2 slot as Alawi and Manasse beat Lawson and Salkovic, 8-4. The Blue Demons won the third match as Gustafson and Raymond bested LBSU’s Sarah Cantlay and Julie Luzar, 8-3.

The 6-1 victory marked DePaul’s first loss at home this season as the team that began the season ranked in the Top 30 had been 6-0 at home.

LBSU will return to action next weekend to play its final home matches of the season. The 49ers will host Oregon at 2 p.m. On Friday before taking on No. 42 Cal Poly at 11 a.m. on Saturday at the Rhodes Tennis Center.