Men's Golf, Sports

Zavaleta and Rogers lead ‘Niners in Pacific Coast Intercollegiate

The duo of junior Noelle Zavaleta and senior Reina Rogers paced the No. 69-ranked Long Beach State women’s golf team through the first two rounds of the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate after shooting 5-over-par 149 on Monday.

Zavaleta and Rogers are currently in a tie for seventh place at five strokes back on the overall individual leaderboard behind Natalie Reeves of Texas A&M.

The 49ers finished the first day of the two-day tournament tied for second place with No. 37 Oregon. Both teams scored a 61-over 601 at the par-72 6,034-yard Ocean Course at Half Moon Bay Golf Links in Half Moon Bay, Calif.

Zavaleta, who began the second round tied for second place, carded a 1-under 71 in the first round before recording a 6-over 78 on her second trip around the course later in the day. 

Four birdies on the back-nine holes highlighted Zavaleta’s first round, but she wasn’t able to match that feat in the second round when she was plagued by six bogeys.

Rogers, who jumped three spots in the second round after sinking two birdies on the front-nine, finished with a 3-over 75 her second time around the green.

No. 26 Texas A&M leads the 12-team field that features seven schools ranked in the nation’s overall top-50 after shooting a 20-over 596 to put the Aggies five strokes ahead of the ‘Niners and the Ducks.

One other LBSU player cracked the top-20 in the individual leaderboard with one round left to play in the tournament. Monica Villarreal is tied for 13th place with three other players as she recorded a 6-over 150 score.

Teammate Simone Hoey is tied for 26th place with three other golfers after carding a first-day total of 9-over 153.

Meanwhile, Rochelle Chan, the other remaining LBSU player in the tournament, is playing as an individual posted a 20-over 164 to put her in a tie for 64th place.

The Beach will begin the final round of the tournament Tuesday at 8 a.m.