Men's Golf, Sports

Juniors maintains second-place after two rounds

Long Beach State junior golfer Monica Villarreal sustained her second-place position after Monday’s second round action at the Big West Conference Championships in Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.

Playing on a shortened par-72, 6,138-yard course at Tijeras Creek Golf Club, Villarreal carded an even-par 72 after firing a career-best 5-under 67 in the opening round on Sunday. 

Villarreal recorded her first bogey of the tournament after going 23 holes without a bogey.

She eventually registered a total of two bogeys on the front-nine before sinking two birdies on the back nine for an even score. 

Through 36-holes, Villarreal recorded a 5-under 139 score and is six strokes behind Alice Kim of UC Davis.

For the second straight day, Kim, who has collected just one bogey in 36 holes of action, continued to dominate the field of 35 players after firing a 5-under 67. 

Meanwhile, LBSU held its second-place spot with a 295, but lost some ground on No. 19-ranked UC Davis as the Aggies extended its first-place lead by 12 strokes over the 49ers. 

LBSU registered 11-over 587 total after 36 holes and has an eight-stroke lead over third-place Cal Poly (+19), and 14 shots over fourth-place UC Irvine (+25). 

Cal State Northridge (+42) rounded out the top five, followed by UC Riverside (+43) in sixth and Cal State Fullerton (+51) in seventh. 

LBSU freshman Rochelle Chan moved up four spots in the standings to finish second for LBSU and 11th overall. Chan improved by two shots in the second round as she posted a 1-over with a 73. 

The freshman carded two birdies and two bogeys on the front-nine before recording eight pars on the back and one bogey at the 16th hole.

49ers senior Lindsey McAtee held her position in ninth with a 5-over 77, followed by classmate Reina Rogers, who shot a 7-over 79 to tie for 18th.

Sophomore Simone Hoey improved by 11 strokes with a 1-over 73 after struggling in the first round with a 12-over 84. Hoey moved up from 32nd to tie for 25th as she carded a blistering four birdies for the day.

Final round action will conclude on Tuesday with the 49ers teeing off at 8:50 a.m. with Cal Poly and UC Davis. Live action can be followed on Golfstat.com.