Men's Golf, Sports

Four LBSU players named to all-conference

Four Long Beach State women’s golfers were named to the All-Big West Conference team, the league office announced on Tuesday.

Sophomore Simone Hoey and junior Monica Villarreal were named to the first-team, while senior Reina Rogers and junior Noelle Zavaleta were honorable mention recipients.

The feat marked the second year in a row four LBSU golfers were named to the all-conference team. In 2006, the year the 49ers received their first-ever at-large bid into the NCAA Tournament, five players were selected to the all-conference team.

This is also the second consecutive year Hoey was named to the all-conference first team, while this was Villarreal’s first as she was awarded honorable mention last year.

For Zavaleta, this is the second year in a row she has been named to all-conference as she was tabbed second team last season, while Rogers garnered her second honorable mention in three years. Her first came in 2009 when she helped the 49ers claim their first Big West Championship before making their second NCAA tournament appearance.

LBSU placed second at the Big West Championship last week in Rancho Santa Margarita, finishing behind defending tournament champion UC Davis.

Villarreal led the way for LBSU, finishing with a career-best 4-under 212 and a low-round 67. Rogers tied for 16th at 14-over and Hoey tied for 21st (+15).