Men's Track & Field, Sports

Senior field athlete finishes career at USA T&F Championships

Long Beach State field athlete Colin Dunbar finished his collegiate career with an 11th-place finish in the hammer throw at the USA Track and Field Championships last Thursday at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore.

The senior registered a distance of 219 feet, 4 inches on his third attempt and placed second among all collegiate participants behind Cal Lutheran University’s Eric Flores, who placed 10th overall.

Dunbar’s toss was the second longest of his career behind a personal-best of 223 feet, 6 inches set at this year’s Big West Championships, which ranks second in school history.

“Colin had a really solid performance,” LBSU head coach Andy Sythe said in a release. “He has brought us tremendous pride with his efforts and he has represented us very well both on and off the track.”

Dunbar was named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association West Region Men’s Field Athlete of the Year and the Big West Conference Men’s Field Athlete of the Year this season.

The Santa Barbara native was also a two-time All-American, earning second-team honors in the hammer and honorable mention recognition in the discus. He was one of 10 athletes in the West Region to advance to the NCAA Championships in two events.

Dunbar also led the 49ers to its third Big West title. He personally accounted for 28 points by winning the hammer and discus events, while finishing third in the shot put and seventh in the javelin throw. He was just the second athlete in conference history to score in all four throwing events.

Dunbar has also been recognized for his work in the classroom. He was a two-time Mountain Pacific Sports Federation All-Academic selection and was named to the 2009 USTFCCCA All-Academic team.

Meanwhile, the four remaining LBSU athletes to qualify for the U.S. Track & Field Championships wrapped up competition last Friday and Saturday.

Heath Reedy, who competed in the junior championships, finished third in the 10000-meter race Friday as he crossed the finish line in 30 minutes 31.87 seconds. He previously ran the 10K at the Big West Championships where he was the runner-up with a time of 30:14.85.

Andrew Garcia, who entered the junior meet ranked 23rd in the 3000-meter steeplechase, finished 19th overall with a time of 10:03.78 on Saturday.

Heath Reedy was forced to withdraw from the 5000-meter race after sustaining an ankle injury. Reedy had finished third in the 10000-meter run to earn USATF Junior All-America honors last Friday.

Tyler Wallace was unable to clear the opening height, which was set at 17 feet, 6 inches in the men’s senior pole vault competition.