Men's Cross Country, Sports

Women’s cross country cracks west regional rankings

The Long Beach State women’s cross country team broke into the west regional rankings Monday, coming at at No. 9 in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll.

On the men’s side, the 49ers remained at No. 9 for the third consecutive week.

Both teams are the second highest ranked school from the Big West Conference as the UC Davis women and Cal Poly men came in at No. 7 in both polls.

The LBSU women moved back into the regional rankings after winning its second consecutive Bronco Invitational in Sunnyvale, Calif. this past weekend. LBSU led the field of 21 teams with 94 points as senior Rosa Del Toro crossed the finish line in fourth with a school record-setting mark in the 5K race. Del Toro registered a time of 17:09.

With the win, LBSU finished ahead of five teams that were ranked in last week’s west region poll. UC Berkeley was the highest ranked team as the Golden Bears came in at No. 3, followed by Portland (8th), UC Davis (9th), Cal Poly (10th) and Idaho (13th).

The men’s team finished in third (153 points) at the Bronco Invitational behind team-champion Stanford (38 points) and Cal Poly (77 points) in second. The 49ers finished ahead of UCLA (14th) and Berkeley (16th) as both the Bruins and Golden Bears are ranked ahead of LBSU in the west region poll at No. 4 and No. 8, respectively.

The 49ers will return to action this Friday at Cal State Fullerton for the Titan Invitational.

USTFCCCA Women’s Cross Country Team Rankings – West Region

(as of Oct. 17)

1. Washington (5)

2. Arizona (4)

3. Stanford (1)

4. UC Berkeley (3)

5. Oregon (2)

6. San Francisco (6)

7. UC Davis (9)

8. Arizona State (7)

9. LONG BEACH STATE (NR)

10. Portland (8)

11. Oregon State (11)

12. Idaho (13)

13. Cal Poly (10)

14. Boise State (NR)

15. UC Santa Barbara (14)

* Last week’s rankings in parenthesis.

USTFCCCA Men’s Cross Country Team Rankings – West Region

(as of Oct. 17)

1. Stanford (1)

2. Portland (3)

3. Washington State (5)

4. UCLA (6)

5. Oregon (2)

6. Arizona State (4)

7. Cal Poly (7)

8. UC Berkeley (8)

9. LONG BEACH STATE (9)

10. Washington (10)

11. UC Santa Barbara (11)

12. Boise State (13)

13. Idaho (12)

14. Gonzaga (NR)

15. UC Davis (NR)

* Last week’s rankings in parenthesis.