Men's Golf, Sports

Zavaleta takes 5th at Vegas Showdown

Long Beach State senior golfer Noelle Zavaleta closed out the fall season with two birdies on the final two holes in Wednesday’s final round of the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown to finish in fifth place.

Zavaleta recorded a 3-over-par 75 to complete the three-day, 54-hole tournament at 1-under 215 at the par-72, 6,329-yard Boulder Creek Golf Club.

This marked Zavaleta’s first top-10 finish this season and fifth overall in her career. She registered 11 pars for the round.

LBSU carded a final-round 313 to complete the tournament at 31-over 895 as it finished in eighth place out of 16 teams to end its fall season.

UC Davis won the team title with a 5-over 869 by 15 shots over San Diego State and Pepperdine. Tournament host UNLV tied for fifth with UC Irvine at 27 over.

Pepperdine sophomore Grace Na shot a final-round 74 to hold on for top honors at 7-under 209.

LBSU junior Simone Hoey shot a 78 to finish at 6-over 78 to place 19th at 6-over 222, while sophomore Rochelle Chan carded a 9-over 81, tying for 49th at 13-over 229.

Senior Monica Villarreal shot an 87, finishing at 21-over 237 and tying for 72nd, while freshman Bow-Kay Salotti shot a 79 to finish at 22-over 238, tying for 75th.

Freshman Chaewon Park, who played as an individual, shot a final-round 80 for a 17-over 233 to tie for 63rd.

LBSU won’t return to action until Feb.19 when it takes part in the three-day Folino Invitational hosted by Cal State Fullerton at Industry Hills Golf Club.