Men's Track & Field, Sports

Del Toro taking recognition in stride

Rosa Del Toro has all the makings of a track superstar.

In fact, the senior track and field distance runner said she could describe herself in just three words: “determined, positive and focused.”

Nothing keeps this Van Nuys-native from going for the gold.

In the 2012 season alone, Del Toro has been littering her name throughout the LBSU track and field record books.

Earlier this month, she finished the 5000-meter run with a personal-best 16:45.72 at the Stanford Invitational. That time gives her the third best mark in LBSU history.

On March 20 Del Toro was named Big West Conference Track Athlete of the Week when she finished third overall at the Aztec Invitational in the 1500-meter with a time of 4:29:36 – just .32 seconds away from her personal-best of 4:29:04 that she established last season.

“It feels good to have someone notice that you’re putting in all this work, but it makes you want to work even harder.” Del Toro said of claiming the title.

On April 1 at the Cal-Nevada Championships, Del Toro claimed the individual title in the 1500m with 4:28:44, topping her previous personal best by .92 seconds and ranking her fifth in LBSU history in that event.

Although the senior has made her mark on the school’s record books, she pointed out that she has no big dreams of making it to the Olympics anytime soon.

“I just want to take things one step at a time,” Del Toro said. “I just want to be able do well in both events [5000m and 1500m] and hit times that will get me into regionals or first-round nationals and see where I go from there.”

While the 1500m and 5000m are Del Toro’s main events, she has also made outstanding appearances in other events such as the 3000m, the mile and the women’s distance medley relay [DMR].

During the 2012 indoor season, Del Toro established a school-record 4:50.75 in the women’s mile, finishing 16th at the University of Washington Invitational. She topped LBSU’s previous record of 4:53.07 set by Missy Barclay in 2008.

That same day, the runner was also apart of the record-breaking women’s DMR team, with Jessica Barnard, Chelsea Hairanian and Catherine Martinez. The squad sealed a program record when they crossed the finish line in 11:48.81 good for third overall in that particular meet.

Although, Del Toro’s talent on the track is evident, the human development major explained that sometimes running is not all fun and games.

“I don’t really have much time to do really anything [else] really,” she said. ” I love to read a lot but I’m always worried about school and running. And running just kind of takes over.”

Del Toro said that she often wakes up at 5:30 a.m. to complete an eight or nine mile run before she attends class. On average, she contributes about 70 to 75 miles a week and often 14 to 15 miles a day to running.

“Managing time [is difficult], but I’m a student athlete and you know we do what we have to do,” Del Toro said.

Although time management is one of the challenges the senior faces, she pointed out that when it comes to running, just letting go and believing in herself is at times is her biggest roadblock.

“My coaches always tell me that I have the talent and all the physical effort to do it, but I just get scared to actually do it,” Del Toro said. “But I think I am getting to that point now where I am starting to trust myself more.”

Del Toro’s next race will be on April 19 at the Mt. San Antonio College relays where she will compete in the 1500m.