Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis

Long Beach State shows strength, resolve at Beach Invitational

The Long Beach State women’s tennis team concluded the Beach Invitational with a strong showing against New Mexico.

LBSU swept all eight of its singles matches Sunday, dominating the Lobos with its aggressive approach.

The 49ers are ranked 39th in the nation to begin the 2013 season, and they wasted no time getting ahead of the Lobos. The Beach secured service breaks within their first two return games in four out of the first six singles matches.

Strong serving helped The Beach consolidate the breaks, giving the 49ers the cushion they needed to go for their shots throughout the match.

Senior Sarah Cantlay said the 49ers game-planned to attack early to put their opponents on their heels.

“We want to start aggressive, but it’s a consistent aggressive,” she said of the team’s quick start. “It shows your opponent you’re ready for the match.”

Ebba Unden finished her match in under an hour, dismissing Maria Sablina in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.

Cantlay followed suit, beating Kristin Eggleston, 6-2, 6-1.

The 49ers raced out to sizable leads, taking the first set in each of their matches. LBSU was challenged in just three of its games, as No. 1 Klaudia Malenovska, Eva Rodriguez, Anne-Sophie Willems were forced to fight through decisive third sets to get their wins.

As much as the 49ers succeeded as frontrunners, they prevailed when tested. Malenovska epitomized the 49ers’ strength and resiliency, rallying to take the third set against Michaela Bezdickova.

After a service break at four-all in the second set, Malenovska found herself serving for the match. With her back against the wall, Bezdickova, who was the only ranked player in the tournament, returned the favor to get back on-serve.

Both players held, and the match moved to a second set tie-breaker. Malenovska jumped in front 3-0, but Bezdickova would rally. As Bezdickova grinded her way back, the 49ers’ top singles threat became frustrated and began to counsel herself in between the points. Malenovska was unable to halt the downward spiral, as she sprayed a couple of volleys long to seal her fate in the second set.

It appeared that the collapse at the end of the second set had evolved into more than a mental hiccup, but Malenovska kept her nerves in check in the final set en route to a 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-1 win.

The 49ers finished the tournament with an overall record of 20-2 in singles, and 8-2 in doubles. LBSU also competed with Colorado and Nevada in the Beach Invitational. Cantlay believes that the 49ers’ success at the tournament gives them the confidence they need as the calendar turns from the tournament season to competition between schools.

“Everyone came into [the tournament] a little nervous,” she said. “I think we’re the strongest team here. It’s good to build the confidence.”

LBSU will open the regular season Friday with a road tilt against rival Cal State Fullerton at 1:30 p.m.