Men's Sports, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Men’s volleyball loses to BYU in MPSF final, misses NCAA tournament

For the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team, the last week of the 2012-13 season was one that felt like a rollercoaster ride of emotions, ultimately ending with LBSU missing out on the at-large bid into the NCAA tournament.

LBSU started its Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament campaign by handily defeating sixth-ranked Stanford in the quarterfinals at the Walter Pyramid.

It was then off to Provo, Utah where LBSU took on its not-so distant rival, UC Irvine. The Anteaters were seeded second over the third-seeded ‘Niners and had beaten LBSU in all three of their regular-season games.

However, true to the nature of a playoff match, both teams went blow for blow all the way through the fifth and final set of the night.

“We were really closing the net, making plays and keeping pressure on them,” junior Connor Olbright said.

In the fifth set, LBSU maintained a slight lead up until UCI tied the match at 14 apiece.

From there it was a seesaw battle in extra points as both teams exhausted their efforts to reach a two-point advantage and end the match.

Finally, on its fifth match point opportunity, LBSU was able to seal the victory with a double block from junior Taylor Crabb and freshman Taylor Gregory.

The win was the ‘Niners’ seventh straight, and it earned them a spot in the finals of the MPSF tournament against host and top-seeded BYU.

“Probably one of the biggest wins of my career,” Olbright said.

For LBSU’s players, the victory over UCI was a testament to the long season of hard work in the gym, preparation before matches and dedication to one another.

“Everyone’s pretty ecstatic,” junior Ian Satterfield said. “It’s just a great experience. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

The 49ers took to the Smith Fieldhouse once again Saturday night for the championship match of the MPSF tournament, a match that would see the winner getting an automatic spot in the four-tean NCAA tournament.

In the first set, LBSU exchanged the lead with BYU all the way up into extra points, when a BYU service ace gave the Cougars the 28-26 win.

Both teams gave exceptional efforts in the match, but in the end LBSU came up short to the hometown Cougars.

“It played out exactly like we thought as far as the type of match it was going to be,” LBSU head coach Alan Knipe said. “They were all close games, and you have to give BYU credit. They executed at the most crucial times.”

Sets two and three saw BYU coming out on top 25-22, putting an end to the ‘Niners’ MPSF tournament run.

Crabb and Olbright were named to the MPSF All-Tournament team for their high caliber of play throughout the week.
With the loss, the ‘Niners were left relying on an at-large bid to gain entrance into the NCAA tournament.

On Sunday at noon, to the dismay of the 49ers, the NCAA selection committee gave UCI the at-large bid into the NCAA tournament. The tournament will be held at UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion.

For LBSU it signified the end of its 2012-13 season. The 49ers finished with a 24-7 overall record and are currently ranked second in the nation.

“I’m incredibly proud of our guys. They played really well,” Knipe said.

The ‘Niners will look to the final chapter of this season not as ending on a bad note, but as playing some of its best volleyball and coming up just short. They’ll undoubtedly use this as a springboard for success next year, returning with a squad that has the potential to reach national championship aspirations.