Men's Sports, Men's Water Polo, Sports, Women's Golf, Women's Sports, Women's Volleyball

‘Niner Notes: Sanders, Lyons, McConnell earn honors

49ers win weekly honors
Hannah Sanders and Elizabeth Lyons each earned Player of the Week honors for their performances against Cincinnati and Loyola Marymount with the Long Beach State women’s soccer team this weekend.
Sanders won the Big West Offensive Player of the Week award along with Cal Poly’s Elise Krieghoff. Sanders scored two goals over the weekend, including the game winner against LMU on Sunday.
Lyons was honored by College Sports Madness as Big West Player of the Week for the five points she accumulated over the weekend. She had three assists and one goal against Cincinnati on Saturday.
Men’s water polo player Nolan McConnell was also honored, as he was named Player of the Week by the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation. McConnell starred for the 49ers at the Triton Invitational in San Diego, scoring a team-leading 11 goals over four games.

Freshman withdraws from women’s volleyball team
Freshman middle blocker Haylee Roberts has withdrawn from the LBSU women’s volleyball team, according to a news release by the Athletics Department.
Roberts was added to the roster last week but has since withdrawn because of an unspecified medical concern. She did not play at the Bay Area Challenge over the weekend.

Martinez, Teare finishes in top 10 at Ptarmigan Ram Classic
Shawnee Martinez and Kassidy Teare led the LBSU women’s golf team with ninth-place and 10th-place finishes, respectively, at the Ptarmigan Ram Classic Tuesday.
Martinez shot 75-72-71 to finish two strokes over par at Ptarmigan Country Club in Fort Collins, Colo. She finished six strokes behind tournament winner Dana Finkelstein of UNLV.
Teare finished with a score of 219 over the three rounds, which were held over Monday and Tuesday.
LBSU placed seventh out of 17 as a team with an overall score of 906 (+42). California took the team prize with a +9 finish, nine strokes better than second-place Colorado.
Also participating in the season-opening tournament for the 49ers were Rochelle Chan, Janelle Sua and Chaewon Park.
Next up for LBSU is the Minnesota Invitational, which will be held at Minikahda Golf Club in Minneapolis.

— Compiled by Sports Editor Jason Clark