Baseball, Men's Sports, Softball, Sports, Women's Golf, Women's Sports

‘Niner Notes: Jake Stassi to have Tommy John surgery

Stassi to have Tommy John surgery

The bad news for the Dirtbags didn’t only come on the field Saturday.

After their 6-0 shutout loss, in which they only managed three hits, head coach Troy Buckley announced that starting pitcher Jake Stassi will undergo Tommy John surgery and be shut down for the season. Stassi suffered a stress fracture and a Torn UCL.

Stassi, a senior lefty out of Yuba City, was the Saturday starter last season and went 4-4 with a 3.32 ERA in 12 starts.
Ashley Holmes named Big West softball Field Player of the Week

Long Beach State’s Ashley Holmes hit it big in Las Vegas this weekend.

Holmes earned Big West Field Player of the Week honors after going 8-for-16 with three home runs and 11 RBIs in the Easton Desert Classic. She helped the 49ers earn three wins in the five-game tournament and now leads the Big West in batting average, home runs, RBIs, slugging percentage and on-base percentage.

Holmes has also gotten a hit in all nine of LBSU’s games this season.
Women’s golf team ties for 10th at Peg Barnard Invitational

Led by a 21st-place finish by Shawnee Martinez, Long Beach State tied for 10th in the Peg Barnard Invitational, which was hosted by Stanford.

The 49ers shot a 605 (+37) for the weekend, tying them with rivals UC Irvine at the Stanford Golf Course.
Martinez shot 76-74 over the two rounds to finish with a total of 150. Also competing for the 49ers were Chaewon Park, who finished tied for 28th, Kassidy Teare (47th), Janelle Sua (63rd) and Ashley Greer (66th).

Stanford’s Mariah Stackhouse led the Cardinal to the team title by winning the individal competition with a total score of 130, 12 below par.