Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Water Polo

Women’s water polo: 49ers shut out Bucknell

The last two weeks have proved transformative for the Long Beach State women’s water polo team.

A group effort spurred 11th-ranked LBSU past Bucknell, 11-0, Thursday in the team’s first shutout of the season.
Chelsea Parks, Justine Morgan, Hillary Veselik, and Coriann Snyder had multi-goal games for the 49ers (15-6).

Rachel Cretcher, Kayla Robert, and Emily Matheson rounded out the scoring.

Kelly Ringel made six saves to record the shutout.

The Beach won its ninth straight game in front of the hometown faithful. The 49ers have outscored opponents 137-31 over the course of the winning streak.
Parks says simplifying the offense has helped the team hit its stride.

“We were trying to make our shots too perfect,” she said. “We have our confidence back up. These past two weeks we’ve been working on more shooting, just strictly shooting. That’s the change in us.”

Thursday’s game held special meaning for the 49er family. Former LBSU assistant coach Kyle Gorham returned as a member of the Bucknell coaching staff.

A confident 49ers squad made a statement in the first half. LBSU smothered the Bison (6-6) on defense, swimming out to the perimeter and denying quality shot attempts.

LBSU did not give up a shot-on-goal until 3:03 remained in the second quarter.

LBSU coach Gavin Arroyo attributed the strong defensive effort to an aggressive attitude in the pool.

“Defense is attitude and disposition,” he said. “That was our goal before the game to really make sure that we were the aggressors defensively.”

The 49ers did not waste any time getting on the board. Parks scored on the opening possession. Robert drew an exclusion on Mackenzie Ferry, and Snyder converted the ensuing penalty shot to double the LBSU lead.

The Beach led 8-0 at the half.

In the fourth quarter, the only drama that remained was to see if the 49ers could lock down the shutout. Ringel repelled all three shots that came her way, including a right-arm block on a shot by Ferry in the final minutes.

“Kelly was brilliant,” Arroyo said. “When she’s got that look, she’s going to be tough for anybody.”

LBSU opens Big West Conference play with a road game at Hawaii on Friday.