Baseball, Men's Sports, Sports

LBSU sweeps Wichita State

Freshman right-handers Chris Mathewson and Darren McCaughan combined to throw the first no-hitter in Long Beach State history, giving the Dirtbags a three-game sweep over Wichita State at Blair Field on Sunday.

Mathewson threw the first seven innings of the game, striking out eight batters in the Dirtbags’ (8-3) historic 4-0 win over the Shockers (3-7). Mathewson’s lone walk kept the Dirtbags from a perfect game.

“I just went out there pitching not really thinking about it,” Mathewson said. “It’s pretty exciting. I never knew it was the first one in the team’s history.”

McCaughan took over in the eighth, striking out three batters in the final two innings to seal the win and the sweep.

“I just tried not to look at the scoreboard,” McCaughan said. “No one was talking about it but in the back of my mind I know it was there.”

Senior right-hander Kyle Friedrichs was up to his usual tricks, striking out 12 hitters in the Dirtbags 7-0 rout of the Shockers Friday night. Friedrichs is 3-0 on the season and has double-digit strikeouts in every start.

Friedrichs allowed two runners on base in the first inning, struck out the side to escape trouble. He only allowed three hits and two walks in his seven innings of work.

“The past two outings I’ve been too amped up for the first inning,” Friedrichs said.

“This time, I slowed things down in the bullpen pregame and it really transferred over.”

Junior right-fielder Zack Rivera and sophomore shortstop Garrett Hampson led the charge offensively for the Dirtbags once again. Rivera smashed a two-run home run over left field in the seventh inning. Hampson finished with three runs batted in, three hits and two runs.

“Our team was too passive at the plate to start the year,” Rivera said. “Our coaches gave us a challenge to be more aggressive and that’s what we did tonight.”

Freshman outfielder Brock Lundquist made his collegiate debut after being sidelined with an injury in the fall. Lundquist immediately produced as the designated hitter with three base hits and one run scored on the night.

“He’s got hitting in his genes,” head coach Troy Buckley said. “It’s what he’s liked to do ever since he was a kid.”

On Saturday night, junior right-hander Tanner Brown took the mound and led the Dirtbags to a 5-2 victory over the Shockers. Brown put up another strong performance with five strikeouts, one walk in six innings pitched. Brown gave up two runs but the rest of Dirtbag pitchers shut out the Shockers.

Lundquist proved to be solid at the plate again and led off the second inning with a double. He would come around to score on a sacrifice fly from sophomore infielder Nico Maida. Lundquist also drew a walk.

The Dirtbags will host Loyola Marymount Tuesday night at Blair Field at 6 p.m.