Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis

Second year 49er earning top honors

Hayley Thompson scored the clinching point in this year’s Big West Tournament against UC Santa Barbara and punched the 49ers’ ticket to another NCAA Tourney appearance.

The sophomore has been a part of back-to-back Big West champion tennis teams, and she’s had success in both singles and doubles competition.

The Irvine native, in addition to being receiving honorable mention on the All-Big West singles team, earned first team All-Big West honors for doubles teams with partner Ebba Unden.

The Daily 49er caught up with Thompson ahead of the team’s weekend match against Virginia Tech.

How does this year’s title compare to last year’s?

It’s definitely different, [now] being a sophomore. We already experienced it last year, but it’s still different feeling. Clinching it at the end definitely meant a great deal to me.

Why did it mean so much to you?

Because of the feeling you get afterwards, like you just won the last point. It was in your hands pretty much.

What were some of them biggest challenges this season?

Having to [play unfamiliar] schools, competing against them. You never know what you’re getting into. We had a few tough losses, which we weren’t expecting. But we had to get over them and move on.

Does it help or hurt you to play so such a tough schedule?

It helps. It gets you ready for the next match. Even if you lose, it’s a great experience.

What did the first team honors in doubles competition mean to you?

I was definitely excited. It was just a great feeling and a great moment with my team. [I was able] to enjoy it and celebrate it with them. 

What’s the difference between playing in singles and doubles competition?

I mean, it’s not that much different, honestly. You still have to go out there and compete and give it your best. It’s nice having partner out there with you, and relying on them as well as yourself.

What are some of the things the international players have taught you since they arrived?

They just showed me some of their foods. The French girls have taught me a little bit of French. That’s pretty much it.

Do you feel like maybe at times you’re an outsider since you’re the only American?

Not really because Jenny [Hilt-Costello], our head coach, is an American, so I feel like at home with her. I guess [I do feel like an outsider] a little bit during practice. It’s not like everyone’s from the same exact place. They’re all [from different parts of Europe].

What’s it like playing with so many international players?

It has its ups and downs. I wish there were a few more Americans on here, honestly. But I learn different things from them, and I get to try different foods that they make. That’s kind of fun. It was definitely hard at first because they didn’t speak English that well. They don’t know around here, so I had to show them everything. Americans [teammates] would be nice as well, but [my teammates] are fun.

Thompson and the rest of the 49ers take on Virginia Tech in the first round of the NCAA tournament starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday in Los Angeles.