LBSU off to perfect start

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team defeated both Cal Poly, 2-0, and UC Santa Barbara, 1-0, on the road to start Big West play three-for-three.

LBSU’s (8-3-3, 3-0-0) three straight wins means the 49ers are off to their best start in league play since 2011.

The 49ers started the weekend by picking up a win in San Luis Obispo against Cal Poly on Thursday.

Freshman striker Fatmata Kamara netted her second goal of the season in the 57th minute to open up the scoring against the Mustangs. Junior midfielder Mimi Rangel assisted the goal by finding Kamara with a scoop pass over the Cal Poly backline.

The 49ers added the second goal in the 75th minute. Freshman defender Jordan Sanders lobbed a ball into the box and senior forward Vania Robles headed it in to give LBSU some breathing room.

Junior goalie Ashton McKeown recorded five saves and cemented her seventh shutout of the season.

On Sunday, LBSU made the trip to Santa Barbara to take on the Gauchos.

The game was deadlocked for 76 minutes before sophomore striker Ashley Gonzales provided more heroics. Gonzales scored the game winner on LBSU’s first shot on goal of the game. Robles provided the assist.

Again, McKeown tallied another five saves to record her eighth shutout in 2015. The 49ers haven’t allowed a single goal in their first three conference matchups this season.

Up next for LBSU is a home game against UC Riverside on Friday at 7 p.m. The 49ers then head to Irvine on Sunday for a matchup with the Anteaters at 6 p.m.

TOP PERFORMER

Junior goalie Ashton McKeown

10 Saves

0 Goals Against

2 shut outs