Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Water Polo

LBSU blanked in first four starts of 2016

The Long Beach State women’s water polo team struggled to overcome slow starts in its season-opening slate of games, losing to each of its first four opponents at the UC Santa Barbara Invitational over the weekend.

The 49ers (0-4) were deadlocked with No. 4 California at one goal apiece after the first quarter on Saturday, but the Golden Bears took a commanding lead by outscoring LBSU 7-2 in the second, third and fourth quarters for a final of 8-3.

LBSU got off to another slow start in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader, getting outscored 5-2 by San Jose State in the first half. Coming out of the half, the 49ers rebounded by netting a pair of goals in both the third and fourth quarters.

However, the Spartans matched LBSU’s second half with an identical four goal performance. The 49ers lost 9-6 despite a two-goal performance by both sophomores Alexandra Massier and Virginia Smith.

The 49ers had another tall order in Sunday’s opener against No. 2 UCLA. The Bruins put two goals in the net in the first quarter and then added two in the second while limiting LBSU to only one goal in the half. UCLA broke the score open in the second half by pouring in seven more goals for the 11-4 win.

Unlike its first three games, LBSU kept the score closer against Wagner University. The 49ers lost 8-7 despite a late fourth quarter comeback.

Smith and Morrissey both scored a team-high five goals over the weekend for LBSU.

The 49ers will play next on Feb. 7 when it hosts Claremont McKenna College at the Ken Lindgren Aquatics Center.