Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Water Polo

LBSU crushes Azusa Pacific University, University of Redlands

The Long Beach State women’s water polo team’s offense erupted in wins over Azusa Pacific University, 12-5, and University of Redlands, 20-5, on Saturday in Redlands.

LBSU got off to a slow start against APU, finishing the first quarter 2-2. They eventually set into pace, both defensively and offensively, scoring seven goals while limiting the cougars to one over the next two quarters.

Senior goalie Katie Margot made 11 saves for APU, but couldn’t do enough to fend off the 49ers who scored on five of their eight man-up opportunities.

Tori Morrissey earned a hat trick, netting her third goal to end the match.

Immediately following the match against Azusa, LBSU went head to head with Redlands.

LBSU didn’t have its usual slow start against the Bulldogs. The 49ers outscored UR by four points in both the first and second quarters, and continued scoring at a high rate through the entire the second half.

Sophomore utility Virginia Smith, sophomore defender Alexandra Massier and sophomore attacker Bridget Reynolds each scored a hat trick during the match. Morrissey snagged another two against the Bulldogs, making her the lead scorer on the day, with five goals total.

The 49ers will head to Ann Arbor, Michigan next weekend to take part in the Wolverine Invite. Their first match is against the University of Michigan at 9:40 a.m. on March 5.