Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Water Polo

LBSU women’s water polo goes 3-1 at Wolverine Invite

The No. 21 Long Beach State women’s water polo team returns from a cold weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan where the 49ers went on a hot streak after their initial loss to No. 5 Michigan.

LBSU began the Wolverine Invite with a 15-8 loss to tournament hosts Michigan on Saturday. The Wolverines got an early lead, going up 10-3 in the first half. Sophomore defender Alexandra Massier completed a hat trick in the final seconds of the match, but the 49ers ultimately failed to close the gap.

The 49ers continued on to a close matchup with Bucknell University. The Bisons led LBSU 4-2 after the first half, but the 49ers came out of the break and scored five goals in the third to take a one-point lead. Freshman defender Annabel Harman completed her hat trick by scoring the only goal in the fourth quarter, securing the 49ers’ 8-6 victory.

LBSU finished the tournament with two more wins on Sunday, earning a 14-4 victory over George Washington University and another in an 8-6 nail-biter against the No. 15 Loyola Marymount Lions.

The 49ers scored nine of their 14 goals in the first half against GW, outscoring the Colonials 5-0 in the second quarter.

Senior goalie Alexis Butler made eight saves against GW and junior attacker Daniela Screnci finished with a hat trick.

The 49ers got a two-point lead in the first quarter against LMU. LBSU was able to hold onto that lead, finishing with the 8-6 win over the lions.

Butler would get another eight saves, taking her tournament total to 19. She now has 76 saves on the season so far, matching her total number of saves from last season.

The 49ers return home after a 10-game road trip to face Bucknell on March 17 at 7 p.m. at the Lindgren Aquatics Center.