Sports, Women's Sports, Women's Water Polo

LBSU dominates Pomona-Pitzer 18-4 for third win in a row

Long Beach State’s women’s water polo team defeated the Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens 18-4 at the Ken Lindgren Aquatics Center Sunday night, improving LBSU’s record to 15-9 overall.

The 49ers came out strong, using a high intensity press on defense that the Sagehens struggled to compete against. After the win, the 49ers are now 6-1 at home.

Sophomore Alexandra Massier scored on the first possession of the game after senior Jessica Brooks won the initial sprint.

LBSU then scored on the next two possessions with goals from sophomore Emily Garczynski and freshman Tori Morrissey.

Advertisement – (Story continues below)

twitters500-x500_

LBSU kept Pomona to zero points while scoring six in the first quarter, with five of the goals coming from different 49er players.

In attempts to match the 49ers’ intensity, the Sagehens ended up receiving eight ejections and giving up four penalty shots that LBSU utilized to earn four more goals. The 49ers also scored on four of their player-up opportunities.

The 49ers moved the ball well, looking for the open player, even during fast-break opportunities. During sophomore Bridget Reynolds’ counter-attack, she noticed cutting junior Daniela Screnci on a breakaway, and made the smart pass for an easy goal.

The Sagehens were able to get their first goal in the final seconds of the first half when freshman Natalie Hill beat out sophomore goalie Mimi Harris in a battle for the ball and lobbed the ball over Harris to make the score 10-1 at the half.

The 49ers received six ejections, but shut out the Sagehens on every player-up opportunity. Pomona-Pitzer players were rarely able to get a shot past the wall of 49er hands raised high to block their attempts, and almost all the rest were stopped by Harris who had three saves and only allowed two goals in the three quarters she played.

LBSU continued to dominate throughout the game, with freshman Annabel Harman, Massier and Screnci each earning a hat trick.

The 49ers’ defensive press held Pomona to just four goals. The 49ers consistently got high out of the water, and shot for the corners, earning a total of 18 goals.

The 49ers travel to Honolulu, Hawai’i next to take on the Rainbow Wahine on Saturday at 9 p.m. Pacific Standard Time.