Soccer, Sports, Women's Sports

LBSU women’s soccer shuts out USD in an impressive win

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team defeated the University of San Diego in a 3-0 victory earning head coach Mauricio Ingrassia’s his 150th career win at LBSU.

Ingrassia achieved this impressive milestone in his 14th season at LBSU after taking charge in 2004 and now holds an overall record of 150-92-34.

The landmark win for LBSU started in dominating fashion and the 49ers were rewarded early for their tenacity with a quick 1-0 lead against USD.

Sophomore Anaya Robles notched her second goal of the season in the fifth minute of play after she received a cross from sophomore Katie Pingel and shot the ball wide left to get past the USD goalkeeper.

“This game meant a lot to Mauricio [Ingrassia] and the whole team,” Robles said. “I think it was a really important win for us.”

LBSU’s aggressive play continued throughout the first half, registering 10 shots to USD’s one, and three corner kicks to USD’s zero.

Things took a grim turn for the 49ers in the beginning minutes of the second half as sophomore Chloe Froment collided with a USD player after both of them attempted to contest a header and win the ball.

Froment, who had to be carted off, would not make a return to the game.

Despite this ugly scene, LBSU managed to double its lead in the 53rd minute of play when junior Rocio Rodriguez headed in a pass from senior Tori Bolden to the back of the net.

In the closing minutes of the game, freshman Rola Badawiya was too much for the opposing defense and completed a solo play to give LBSU the decisive 3-0 lead.  

LBSU finished the game with 13 shots, while USD only managed to produce three.

The strong attacking numbers should not come as a surprise according to Bolden, who notes that the team’s attack was a point of emphasis during the week.

“That’s all we focused on this week was attack and getting into the attacking third,” Bolden said. “We had to make sure we were making those passes inside and making sure we were connecting them.”

With the win, the 49ers get their fourth win of the season and improve to 4-2-1 overall.

LBSU will look to continue the momentum of Ingrassia’s milestone and get a second win in a row when they travel to Loyola Marymount on today at 1 p.m.