UPDATED: Men’s basketball preseason game postponed, concerns of COVID-19 cited

UPDATE Dec. 2 at 2:44 p.m.

According to Long Beach State athletic director Andy Fee, the men’s basketball program will play its rescheduled make up game at UCLA on Dec. 15. 

“We are working on finalizing details with them, but very likely that will be the make up date,” Fee said.

UPDATE Dec. 1 at 11:00 a.m.

According to Long Beach State athletic director Andy Fee, the men’s basketball program tested negative for COVID-19 six days in a row prior to traveling to UCLA. As of game day, the Beach had received clearance to play by the Long Beach Public Health Department.

“We felt we were in a position to safely play a game, we don’t have an outbreak within our team,” Fee said. “We had a team on a bus, and all those people on the bus were negative. What UCLA decides to do is their deal, and again in this world, they’re entitled to making a decision, but the team we would have brought last night to Pauley Pavilion was safe.”

Fee said the decision to not play Monday night was ultimately made by UCLA’s athletic department. The team will be taking the day off but will resume practice Wednesday.

“The lens I look through are Long Beach State [athletic department’s] and what we are comfortable with and what we do and again with public health, I don’t know why, but I respect their right to not play the game,” Fee said. “I was surprised that we didn’t play the game, but in the COVID world, I’m okay with it.”

The beach will take on Loyola Marymount University away Friday at 6 p.m.

Original story posted on Nov. 30

The Long Beach State men’s basketball preseason opener versus the University of California, Los Angeles has been postponed out of an abundance of caution based on coronavirus protocol within the Beach program.

As of yesterday, the Beach men’s basketball program had confirmed that its players and staff all tested negative for COVID-19. The announcement comes two hours before the scheduled tip off.

UCLA’s associate athletic director Alex Timiraos said all players from their program tested negative for COVID-19. AM570 Los Angeles Sports reported that an outbreak came from within the Beach program.

Roger Kirk, assistant athletic director, said the department will be issuing a statement regarding the postponement soon.

“Between UCLA and us on the protocol side, with the way the test came out, the decision was made between the programs to postpone the game,” Kirk said. 

Chance Hunter, a junior guard who made the conference’s preseason all-conference team, said the postponement is “just frustrating”.

“It was postponed to another date,” Hunter said. “Everyone was hurt, we all were locked in ready to play.”

When asked if the Beach’s players tests came up inconclusive or if anyone had tested positive, he said that a statement could not be issued at the time by the athletic department.

Slated to be the Beach’s first game back in 263 days since their spring season was canceled in March, further details regarding the rescheduling of the game will be announced as decisions are confirmed between the two institutions.

1. Pingback: Positive COVID-19 case within Beach athletics postpones UCLA matchup for second time - Daily Forty-Niner