Men's Cross Country, Men's Sports, Soccer, Sports, Women's Cross Country, Women's Sports

Long Beach State weekly sports recap

Recap of Long Beach State Sports: Week of Monday, Oct. 18 to Sunday, Oct. 24.

Long Beach State volleyball, tennis, golf and women’s soccer teams saw a lot of action this past week, starting with the women’s tennis team, which sent six of its athletes to the ITA Southwest Regionals in San Diego on Thursday, Oct. 21.

Tennis

Team members Ariana Babkova, Nikola Homolkova, Claire Le Du, Zara Lennon, Sheena Masuda and Zuzanna Szczenpanska all competed in doubles action.

Saturday was the team’s best day of the tournament, which featured a sweep in doubles play and two wins in singles action.

LBSU’s women’s tennis will be back on the court in November for a tournament at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Volleyball

Women’s volleyball had a busy week, competing in back-to-back conference games against UC Davis and UC Riverside on Friday, Oct. 22 and Saturday, Oct. 23

The Beach came up short for both games, losing in five sets against UC Riverside and being swept against UC Davis.

Those losses moved them to 3-7 in conference play and 9-12 overall.

The team has 10 games left in the season including rematches between these two opponents.

Soccer

Continuing its hot streak, LBSU’s women’s soccer team secured its 3rd straight shutout win with a 1-0 victory over Cal State Northridge.

Senior Kayla Cannon scored her third goal of the season, with junior Lena Silano providing the assist, to secure the victory for LBSU.

LBSU’s women’s soccer team is 6-1 in conference play and have a 9-5-2 overall record this season.

With two remaining games left in the regular season, they will be back in action at home next week against Cal Poly Pomona and UC Santa Barbara, as they look to compete for the Big West title.

LBSU is currently second in conference standings. A win over Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara would propel the team to first place.

Golf

The women’s golf team is closed out its fall season with a final tournament this past weekend.

The team was invited to The Clash at Boulder Creek, hosted by Northern Arizona. They were one of 18 teams taking part in this tournament which runs from Sunday, Oct. 24 through Tuesday, Oct. 26.

After this tournament, the team won’t return to play until its winter season begins in February.