Men's Basketball, Men's Sports, Men's Track & Field, Men's Volleyball, Sports, Women's Basketball, Women's Sports, Women's Tennis, Women's Track & Field, Women's Volleyball

Last week in LBSU sports

Men’s Basketball

The Beach continued their hot stretch, going 2-0 last week and extending their winning streak to eight games, which is tied for the longest in the program’s history.

LBSU took on CSU Bakersfield on Feb. 3 at The Walter Pyramid. The first half was a back-and-forth contest with no team leading by more than five points. The Beach tightened up the defense in the second half and let the offense get hot, taking down The Roadrunners 74-65.

Cal Poly SLO gave The Beach trouble early on Feb. 5 as they got off to a 8-3 start and led the entire half. Just as it did against Bakersfield, the defense turned it around and forced 14 turnovers. The Beach was able to come back and win 78-65.

The win over Cal Poly SLO improved The Beach’s conference record to 7-1 and put the team in a tie for first place with CSU Fullerton. They will be battling it out for the top spot on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Women’s Basketball

LBSU traveled up to Central California last week to take on CSU Bakersfield and Cal Poly SLO, defeating both opponents.

Maddi Utti led The Beach offensively against Bakersfield, recording her fourth 20-point performance of the season and picking up her fourth double-double. The Beach’s offense heated up in the third quarter, going on a 29-12 run and never looked back, winning 74-63.

The Beach struggled through most of the game against Cal Poly SLO, who came into the game second-to-last place in the conference. The Beach trailed by 14 points at one time, and by nine going into the fourth quarter. The Beach went on an outstanding 14-2 run to force overtime. The teams battled it out into double overtime before Kianna Hamilton-Fisher made a layup to give the team a 65-64 lead with 0.4 seconds left.

The Beach is tied for first place with UC Irvine, with both teams boasting an 8-2 conference record. LBSU will take on CSU Fullerton on Tuesday in Fullerton before returning to the Pyramid on Saturday to take on Hawaii.

Men’s Volleyball

The Beach took on No. 7 USC last week, defeating the team 3-1 [15-25, 25-23, 25-21, 25-19].

Like most of the season, The Beach got off to a slow start, dropping the first set by 10 points. Freshman Alex Nikolov once again got the offense on track, leading the way with 24 kills. Redshirt sophomore setter Aiden Knipe connected for 41 assists.

With the win, LBSU is now ranked No. 1 in both the National Coaches Poll and National Media Poll. The team will look to defend its ranking on Friday night against UCLA at The Pyramid.

Women’s Tennis

The Beach played in it’s first Big West Conference game on Feb. 5 against UC Davis. LBSU took down the Aggies 4-3, the team’s first victory in nearly two years.

Sheena Masuda and Zara Lennon took the first flight of doubles 6-2, with Peppi Ramstedt and Claire Le Du taking the last one 6-4, to give The Beach the double point. LBSU almost lost the lead in singles play, but Le Du and Ramstedt saved the day by beating both of their opponents.

The Beach will travel down to San Diego this weekend to take on San Diego State on Friday, at 2 p.m., before facing San Diego on Saturday, at noon.

Track and Field

The Beach Albuquerque, New Mexico last week and participated in the New Mexico Collegiate Classic.

Senior Crystal Washington broke the school’s women’s triple jump record, which she set last month in Colorado at 12.22m (40’1.25″). In New Mexico, she jumped 12.72m (41’8.25″). Junior Ryley Fick earned a new personal-best time in the women’s mile at 4.53.06aa, which was good for a second place finish.

Michael Phillips took the men’s mile for LBSU with a time of 4:06.67aa. Freshman Alex Kalmar won the 800m run, his second of the year, with a time of 1:52.84aa, while junior Raymon Ornelas won the 3000m run with a time of 8:31.08aa .

The Beach will travel to Spokane, Washington next week to participate in the MPSF Indoor Championship.