Softball, Women's Sports

The 49ers reached .500 after winning three of five at home.    

An upset victory over No. 12 UCLA highlighted a successful weekend for the Long Beach State softball team in the Long Beach Louisville Slugger Invitational at Mayfair Park.

An electrifying crowd of 1,255 people, split evenly between Bruin and 49er fans, watched as sophomore right-hander Christina Clermont and senior right-hander Amanda Hansen led the 49ers (10-10) to a 5-4 win over the Bruins (17-5) on Friday night.

“[This win] feels awesome,” sophomore infielder Lauren Lombardi said after the game. “It’s a real honor to be able to beat a top team like UCLA.”

Bruin’s infielder Stephanie LaRosa launched a two-run home run to tie the game at two a piece and junior catcher Brittany Moeai hit a solo shot to give UCLA a temporary lead in the top of the fourth.

The 49ers responded in the bottom of the fourth. Lombardi crushed a two-run double off Team USA right-hander Ally Carda to give LBSU the lead.

“The umpire was squeezing the zone so I was looking for something fat in,” Lombardi said. “[Carda] was really working her pitches and with the two strikes I knew I had to be short to the ball. I just needed to make good contact.”

The 49ers dropped a double header Saturday against Stanford (12-10) and Weber State (8-7), both in extra innings. LBSU had its chance against Stanford in the bottom of the seventh with runners on second and third and one out.

The Cardinal escaped trouble and scored six runs in the top of the eighth to win 11-5.

“We did get key hits offensively at certain times, but we just got close, we just got tied,” head coach Kim Sowder said. “We just couldn’t find a way to get the winning run in.”

Weber State’s Krystin Kubo powered the Wildcats to a 9-8 win with four runs batted in on the night, including a game winning two-run home run in the top of the ninth. Sowder said the team failed in every aspect of their game on Saturday.

“Offensively we had so many opportunities,” Sowder said. “It was every part of the game that could’ve made a difference and win the game for us, and nobody did, both games.”

The 49ers defeated Seattle University (6-13) 11-7 on Friday and beat Southern Utah (3-12) 3-1 on Sunday.

The 49ers will host defending national champions and No.1 Florida on Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the 49er Softball Complex.