Women's Volleyball

LBSU Women’s Volleyball fights difficult battle against Hawai’i

Long Beach State women’s volleyball contended a challenging game with the University of Hawai’i, but ultimately they were unable to carve out the win on Oct. 1.

10/01/2022 - Long Beach, Calif: Long Beach State Women's volleyball players, Jaylen Jordan (#4) and Callie Schwarzenbach (#25), both go for a block on a kill attempt agaisnt Hawai'i during Saturday's game.
10/01/2022 - Long Beach, Calif: Long Beach State Women's volleyball players, Jaylen Jordan (#4) and Callie Schwarzenbach (#25), both go for a block on a kill attempt agaisnt Hawai'i during Saturday's game. Photo credit: Naoki Gima

The starting two sets saw Long Beach and Hawai’i challenging each other into a hard fight, with Long Beach slightly tailing behind in both sets, 25-20 and 25-21 respectively.

The game changed during the third set, when The Beach hounded Hawai’i the entire set with a 25-15 lead.

The final set of the night was a consistent back-and-forth tie between the two teams, until Hawai’i reached 15.

Despite the loss, Long Beach came barely short to Hawai’i in kills, 49 compared 51. Jaylen Jordan displayed a career-high of 15 kills and Zayna Meyer gave 40 assists during the game.

10/01/2022 - Long Beach, Calif: Long Beach State Women's volleyball player, Jaylen Jordan has her kill attempt contested by Hawai'i's Caylen Alexander, Jordan led the Beach with 14 kills in the loss to Hawai'i, with a final score of 3-1.
10/01/2022 - Long Beach, Calif: Long Beach State Women's volleyball player, Jaylen Jordan has her kill attempt contested by Hawai'i's Caylen Alexander, Jordan led the Beach with 14 kills in the loss to Hawai'i, with a final score of 3-1. Photo credit: Naoki Gima

“We want to be getting those experiences to play tough against tough teams, and I thought we did that tonight,” said Tyler Hilderbrand, head coach for Long Beach State women’s volleyball.

10/01/2022 - Long Beach, Calif: Long Beach State Women's volleyball head coach, Tyler Hildebrand, leads his team in a huddle during timeout during the Beach's game against Hawai'i on Saturday inside the Walter Pyramid.
10/01/2022 - Long Beach, Calif: Long Beach State Women's volleyball head coach, Tyler Hildebrand, leads his team in a huddle during timeout during the Beach's game against Hawai'i on Saturday inside the Walter Pyramid. Photo credit: Naoki Gima

The game was one of the biggest for Long Beach women’s volleyball since 2016, with over 2,00 fans at the event showing their support of the team.

“I think it’s pretty incredible our community is showing up in this way, and we definitely feel it on the court,” Meyer said. “Especially like when stuff isn’t going our way, and we get like a point and just like the whole gym erupts.”

The next game for Long Beach is against UC Santa Barbara at the Walter Pyramid on Oct. 7.