Uncategorized

Warped Tour Showcases Young Talent

It was only 10 o’clock in the morning and already I could tell it was going to be a scorcher. I was in the vast parking lot of the Los Angeles Fairgrounds in Pomona waiting in line to enter the 12th year of the Vans Warped Tour. This year’s tour has brought together many past favorites with some of the most up-and-coming names in music.

Some of the bands playing that day were NOFX, the Bouncing Souls, Silverstein, Underoath, Joan Jet, Saves the Day, Emanuel and Paramore.

I took my time walking around the vast clothing and band booths spread across the inside of the Pomona racetrack. There were two main stages and various smaller stages set up, with music blasting at all times. If you’re looking for a quiet corner, then this was the wrong place to be.

Emo rockers Saves the Day took the Volcom Stage early in the afternoon and pink-haired lead singer Chris Conley took the stage to a packed field of people. He played new songs and some old favorites from the occult classic “Stay as You Are.” He resembled a young Rivers Cuomo, in his Hawaiian shirt and pink Vans to match his stylish hair.

I got a chance to sit down with Chris Dudley (keyboards) from the fastest growing screamo band today. Underoath’s newest album, “Define the Great Line,” debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard charts and has exceeded this reporter’s expectations. Dudley appeared very grateful for such a successful album.

“It’s a little weird, I mean it’s cool, but we try to have it not be too big of a deal,” Dudley said. “It’s cool, I mean it’s diffidently a blessing and we’re really, really happy with the way it turned out.”

With this being Underoath’s third year on Warped Tour, they hold almost veteran status.

“[Warped Tour has] been very good, we couldn’t have asked for anything better. We’re definitely having a lot of fun,” Dudley said

Underoath was one of the last bands that played and it appeared that most of the crowd at Warped Tour came out for its set. The band was elected to play an extra 10 minutes, that allowed them to play “In Regards to Myself” and favorites from their last album “They’re Only Chasing Safety,” including “It’s Dangerous Business Walking out Your Door.”

Even though Dudley played an instrument that couldn’t be moved, he still managed to rock out during each and every song.

The heat finally subsided and the large orange sun began to set. Roadies began breaking down tents and packing up for the next show. Warped Tour still has more of the greater United States and Canada to cover and only one summer to do it in.