Uncategorized

Letter to the editor – Grateful for LGBT coverage

On behalf of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center at CSULB, I would like to thank Tiffany Rider, Carla Guevara and Mike Plaza for their outstanding coverage of National Coming Out Day 2007 in their article, “LGBT Community Speaks on Identity” in the Oct. 15 Daily Forty-Niner.

Their coverage vividly illustrated the array of activities that took place on Friendship Walk that day: invited guest D’Lo’s spoken word performance, the Student Open-Mic featuring coming out stories and the resource fair that showcased more than 20 different campus and community organizations was appreciated.

Because LGBT communities often grapple with issues of invisibility, having campuswide coverage of National Coming Out Day in the Daily Forty-Niner was especially meaningful.

This coverage signals that CSULB is a safe campus and gives students who are not yet comfortable attending an LGBT event in a public space an opportunity to connect with the campus LGBT community and its activities.

We appreciate the Daily Forty-Niner‘s commitment to researching and reporting on the full range and diversity of student activities.

– Dr. Kirstyn Yuk Sim Chun,LGBT Resource Center faculty co-adviserCAPS staff psychologist