Campus, News, Uncategorized

Cal State Long Beach Associated Students Inc. Senate plans for student success

Plans for voter registration, workshops for undocumented students and disability awareness days were discussed at Wednesday night’s Associated Students Inc. Senate meeting.

In anticipation of the upcoming November presidential election, ASI plans to set up voter registration tables for Cal State Long Beach students who are at least 18-years-old. According to marketing assistant for ASI Judy Lee, voting registration will start Tuesday from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. All students who have not yet registered to vote are encouraged to visit the tables to ask questions and complete the registration process.

The registration booths will be located at the Friendship Walk, next to the Faculty Office buildings.

Lee also announced the return of the event Ask an Executive, where students can tweet questions to ASI executives using #AttnASI. ASI hopes that offering direct lines of communication between their executives and the general student body will improve campus relations and leave students feeling more informed and involved in the goings-on of CSULB.

Ask an Executive will take place today from 3:30 – 5 p.m. at the University Library.

Next at the meeting, the senate elected junior criminal justice major Kylie Martinez as a trustee for the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center.

Martinez was present to accept the position, and said she hopes to learn more about operational management and the nuances of how the university functions.

The senate was also updated on upcoming community outreach events by Kenai Duarte, the ASI Secretary for AB540 and Undocumented Students.

AB540 is piece of California legislation that offers financial aid and assistance for undocumented students attending college in state.

Duarte said she has begun work on a new project entitled The Day in the Life of an Undocumented Student. The event, which is meant to share personal stories and humanize members of the community who are often marginalized, is planned for Feb. 8, 2017.

Duarte is also working on Allied Dreams, a workshop designed to help undocumented students on campus understand what AB540 is, how it can benefit them and the best ways to go about accessing the available resources on campus. Exactly when the workshop will debut is not yet known, but will be shared with the student body as soon as possible.

Lastly, ASI Chief of Staff Matthew Argame shared his plans of creating disability awareness days.

The awareness days will be planned in coordination with the Student Health Advisory Committee and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Argame said he is working with the Student Health Advisory Committee to host these days in the SRWC. Dates are forthcoming as plans are solidified.
Micayla Vermeeren and Michaela Kwoka-Coleman contributed to this story.