Pizza fans at LBSU conclude Long Beach Pizza Co. has the best slices in town

Pizza lovers have found their cheese covered haven on the intersection of Redondo Avenue and Broadway. Long Beach Pizza Co. was voted best pizza in the city by the Long Beach State campus. The classic and simply decorated restaurant and bar serves a variety of pizzas, pastas, desserts and more to Long Beach locals.

Originally family owned, the establishment that sits on Broadway between Newport and Redondo avenues specializes in traditional Italian food. It was later sold to current owner Nassar Sahyesteh in April 1994, but the restaurant still maintains its authenticity of a classic Italian restaurant with its food, friendly staff and laid back atmosphere that has reggae music playing in the background.

“It’s homemade, it’s not New York style or any other, it’s our style,” Sahyesteh said. “Customers can come to watch their favorite sports games and eat good and inexpensive meals.”

There are a surplus of tables available for singles, couples and families who want to sit down and dine. The restaurant is simply put together with a few food paintings on the walls and a light fixture hanging from the ceiling, with sunlight being the main source. If you’re eating alone you also have the option of sitting at the bar area to watch TV up close or have a conversation with the servers.

There are multiple televisions placed on every wall, playing sports games and other cable shows, so you’ll always be entertained. After speaking with both the owner and the server, its easy to conclude that they are very friendly people.

The restaurant also offers a salad bar and 12 beers on tap such as Amber Bock, Budweiser, Stella Artois and many more.

Long Beach Pizza Co. has standard mozzarella cheese pizza, with a hint of sweetness in their signature tomato sauce compared to the usual savory tones most tomato sauces carry. The sauce was fairly sweet on the other three pizzas I tried which were the Margarita, Veggie and Pesto pizza. Every bite of each of the pizzas were filled with flavor and had a hefty amount of toppings on every slice. Although they don’t make Chicago style pizza, the crust on the four pizzas was a bit on the thicker side and a perfect balance of bread and toppings when it’s fresh out of the oven.

They have multiple specialties such as their popular pesto pizza which contains mozzarella cheese, pesto sauce, artichoke, feta cheese and tomato. Another popular choice according to both the owner and the server is the squisito pizza which has mozzarella cheese, sun dried tomatoes, minced garlic and feta cheese. They also have a gluten free cheese pizza option.

If you don’t have time to sit down and eat, they have multiple take out options such as Grubhub, Postmates, Slice and many more. Buying through these services, guests must buy at least $10 worth of food and will be charged a $2 delivery fee but will receive 5 percent off when buying online from Slice.

Long Beach Pizza Co. may look simple, but their pizzas bring up a world of flavors and variety that will sit well regardless of where they are eaten.