A-list actors make “This Is the End” a must see comedy

Featuring an all-star cast from comedy movies such as “Superbad” and “Pineapple Express,” “This Is The End” is a humorous flick that will join in the ranks of its comedic predecessors.

“This Is The End” is a fresh approach to comedy, highlighting dozens of celebrity cameos like Michael Cera (Superbad) and Emma Watson (Perks of Being a Wallflower). The film is Seth Rogen’s directorial debut, and with the help of co-producer Evan Goldberg, its sophomoric humor sets the movie apart from other films.

The movie is based off of the short film, “Jay and Seth vs. The Apocalypse,” which was written by Rogen and Goldberg in 2007 but was never released. The short was a buddy film about friends, Rogen and Jay Baruchel (She’s Out of My League), who drive each other crazy while trapped in an apartment together in a post-apocalyptic world.

The plot of “This Is The End” gets going when James Franco’s (Pineapple Express) lavish housewarming party is cut short by the apocalypse, and friends Chris Robinson (Hot Tub Time Machine), Jonah Hill (Superbad), Rogen, Baruchel and an uninvited Danny McBride (Pineapple Express) are faced with the challenges of surviving in a post-doomsday world.

Much of the film’s humor stems from the fact that each character plays a satirical role of his public image. This leads to a great deal of opportunities for the actors to openly criticize each other as well as themselves.

Aside from being self-depreciating, actors McBride’s and Franco’s energetic performances added to the film’s astute humor. During one scene, even Rogen couldn’t contain himself while watching the two banter back and forth. Rogen had to turn away from the camera to hide his laughter.

But like all comedies featuring Rogen, “This Is The End” wouldn’t be complete without an underlying heartfelt message of friendship. The character arc between Baruchel and Rogen openly reflects the duo’s careers.

Baruchel, who has been friends with Rogen since their early work together on Judd Apatow’s TV production “Undeclared,” feels uncomfortable with Rogen’s group of Hollywood friends.

But the two were forced — through the terrors and anarchy of the apocalypse — to discover the meaning of self-sacrifice and friendship, closing the film with a heartwarming finish.

It’s this touching theme of camaraderie and downright outrageous humor that makes “This Is The End” this summer’s comedy to see.