‘Blackbird’ at the Royal Theater

“Shock!”
The first line spoken in the play “Blackbird” sets the tone of the emotional drama that does just that — shocks the audience.
“Blackbird” was originally written by David Harrower, and the production at the Royal Theater on the Queen Mary is directed by Trevor Biship.
The play was inspired by the controversial case of Toby Studebaker, an American ex-marine, who, in 2003, ran away with a 12-year-old British schoolgirl whom he encountered through an online chatroom, according to the Cal Repertory website.

While “Blackbird” seems to be a story of betrayal, pain and regret, it can also be perceived as a love story, although an unconventional one.

The focal character of “Blackbird,” Una, played by Cal State Long Beach theatre professor Anna Steers, unexpectedly comes across the man with whom she had a sordid affair 15 years before.

This man, Ray, played by Cal State Long Beach comparative literature professor Christopher Shaw, sexually abused Una when she was 12 years old. Now 60 years old, Ray has been released from prison and changed his name to Peter in order to try to live a normal life.

Steers and Shaw take the audience on an emotional ride with their realistic performance, evoking sighs from the crowd.

While Una is portrayed as nervous and questionable, Ray, portrayed as put together and regretless, constantly justifies his actions to himself throughout the play. He says that while in prison, he came to terms with what he did to Una.

“You made me into a ghost,” Una says remorsefully during her heated exchange with Ray.

Una and Ray reunite in a grim, dirty office break room, where the entire play takes place. The play is pure tension between Ray and Una during the 90 minutes inside this room.
“Do you want to see the birthmark? You kissed it,” Una says, heightening the tension even further.

The complex play leaves itself open to interpretation. Ray and Una both have contradicting stories and emotions. Una hates Ray for forever tainting her, but her deep-seeded love is revealed when she goes out of her way to visit him.

The play becomes more intense as it progresses. The audience doesn’t know whether to expect violence or kissing, and the drama culminates into a final, unexpected plot twist.

“It is a really intense play of a topic rarely spoken about. It made me imagine myself in that situation, even though it is a really difficult experience,” Priscila Villapando, a senior graphic design major who saw the play, said.

“Blackbird” is a production of the California Repertory Theatre Company and will show until October 12. Tickets cost $20.