Blog

5 ways students find time to work out

College life is a balancing act. Between going to classes, working shifts and actually having a social life, it’s difficult to set aside time for the gym. We talked to Cal State Long Beach students who regularly work up a sweat and asked them how they manage to fit in time for fitness. Here are some of their practical advice:

1.     Pencil it in. Kelsey Peterson, a junior nutrition and dietetics major, treats working out like another class. “I set aside an hour and make it non-negotiable,” said Peterson. If you make a plan, work out and write it down, you’re more likely to make it to the gym. There should be no excuses!

2.     Make use of time gaps between classes. Patrick Toste, a junior graphic design major, likes to go to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center between classes throughout the week. If you have an hour or two to kill between classes, you might as well burn some calories. We know you’d spend your time on Facebook instead of studying during your break anyway.

3.     Take a class. Tammy Dietzel, a junior health care administration major is enrolled in a one-unit jogging class. “It makes me get up and work out because I care about my grades,” said Dietzel. Your GPA is a great motivator, but if you’re part of a group fitness class, you’ll also want to make it there to support your new work out buddies. And if you doled out cash to take yoga or kickboxing, you’re just wasting money if you don’t show up.

4.     Hold yourself accountable to Facebook friends. Jared McKiernan, a junior journalism major, is on the CSULB crew team. Whenever he heads out to the gym, he posts on the crew team’s Facebook page to see if anyone wants to join him. “I always get a better workout when I work out with someone.” If you post your fitness intentions online, you’ll be more likely to follow through. If a friend writes back to say they’ll join you, then you’ll be more dedicated. You can’t stand up your friend at the gym!

5.     Don’t go home without stopping by the SRWC. Erika Seanaz, a freshman child development major, makes sure to hit up the gym after classes. “After I’m done for the day, I come here to relieve all my stress,” said Seanaz. You may tell yourself that you’ll just go home real quick for a snack or a nap and then come back to school to work out, but once you’re nice and comfy at home, you won’t leave. If you work out before you leave for the day, then you can truly relax once you’re home.