Blog

In case of an emergency, read these practical reminders

California isn’t only home to shake and bake weather, but its resident Santa Ana winds have temporarily blown the earthquake anxiety out of the water. We can look out for falling tree branches while on the road, but here are the next steps in preparing for a power outage.

Stay calm, it’s not a horror movie. If the power outage occurs during the evening, make sure you don’t bump into any household objects.

Have a weather-ready crank light or flashlight with extra batteries. We don’t live in the olden times, so save the hot wax for another occasion.

Don’t open your refrigerator. You want to save the cold temperature, unless it’s a food emergency!

Turn off all, but one of your light switches, so you’ll know when the power is restored. Also unplug all appliances to prevent circuit overloading.

Store the Southern California Edison 1-800-611-1911 number on your phone. For those in Los Angeles, call the L.A. Department of Water and Power at 1-800-DIAL DWP to report your outage or a downed power line.

Accept and bask in the simpler times! If your electronics’ juices have run out, then create some real life art, have conversations with people and just do whatever you can to expand your independence from technology.

Finals week may be keeping us busy, but will it hurt us to be prepared? Let’s not black out when the lights go out!

For additional power outage information from the Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services, click here.