CSULB sees increase in bike thefts

A recent influx in bicycle thefts has led to increased patrol of bike racks.

Six bicycles have been stolen from bike racks around campus since March 2.

“We’ve been having a pretty bad ration of bike thefts here over the past few weeks,” said University Police Captain Fernando Solorzano. “It’s been significantly higher [than in the past.]”

The bikes have been stolen from different locations around Cal State Long Beach, mainly from lower campus. Most of the areas from where the bicycles were stolen aren’t under camera surveillance.

Although the cameras have been helpful in catching bike thieves, they are not installed at every bike rack, according to Solorzano.

“We have a lot more patrol of the area,” Solorzano said. “We do our best to monitor there.”

University Police is attempting to find the stolen bikes and the thieves responsible.

“Sooner or later, we’re going to catch somebody,” Solorzano said.

Many of the bicycles stolen were locked with cable locks. These locks can be cut in seconds, which can help thieves make a quick, inconspicuous getaway.

“If the students can, they should invest in a U-lock,” Solorzano advised.

A U-lock is a sturdy, metal lock in the shape of a “u.” It is stronger and more rigid than cable locks, making it more difficult to cut.

These locks can be expensive, but spending $60 on a lock to secure an $800 bike makes sense, according to Solorzano.

Although there is no surefire way to prevent a bike from being stolen, U-locks are proven to be more difficult to remove. It would take about a minute to pick a U-lock and during that time, it is more likely that someone will notice that the bike is being stolen.

Proper bike-locking techniques also help deter thieves. Solorzano suggested that bike riders avoid locking bicycles by the front tire only, since a thief could easily remove that tire and steal the rest of the bike.

Solorzano urges students to “do whatever it takes to make it that much more difficult to steal their bike.”