Search for new provost begins

A public forum to discuss the four finalists for the Cal State Long Beach provost position will start Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Room 507 at the University Library.

There were more than 80 candidates who applied for the position, according to director of media relations Richard Gloady. Donald Para, who is currently the CSULB interim provost, is one of the four finalists.

The other finalists are Dean Garnett Stokes of the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Georgia, Dean Anil Puri of the Mihaylo College of Business and Economics at Cal State Fullerton, and Cal State Los Angeles Provost Desdemona Cardoza.

Gloady said that the provost oversees the academic aspect of the university and is second in position behind President F. King Alexander.

Other responsibilities include overseeing instructional and curricular programs, developing and managing the budget and participating in the university’s enrollment management planning.

There is no definite date for the selection of the new provost.

According to Douglas Robinson, vice president for student services, candidates will visit the campus for two days and provide a 20-minute presentation on academic leadership.

The forums will take place March 9, 16 and 23, and April 6.

“We always have the opportunity to allow the campus community to meet with the candidates,” Robinson said.

Students and faculty will be able to ask the candidates questions on their forum days from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.